the ethical move.
Small businesses are the largest growing sector of our global economy; how we operate will inform policy. There are a lot of us, we are courageous and adaptable — which makes us uniquely qualified to change the status quo.
At the core sits an economy that relies on our insatiable appetite for more.
Psychological tactics are designed to create false demand by feeding the fear that there will not be enough. This fear has us trapped in a cycle of consumption that is uninspired, unethical, and supremely harmful to the planet and its inhabitants.
But we have no need to continue using methods from the last century to generate wealth. We know better now, so let’s use the power we hold as the ‘New Economy’.
We are the movement for ethical marketing.
We are calling psychological manipulation unethical.
To abolish these tactics for good, we are creating an ethical marketing standard to live alongside Organic, Fair Trade, and B-Corp — starting with a pledge and a badge.
We are a new and evolving movement, learning as we go, in collaboration with you.
Please send us an email if you have feedback to improve our approach!
who we are
what to expect from us
Ethical marketing isn’t just about a list of tactics, it’s inextricably linked with how we treat each other, how we support each other, and how willing we are to acknowledge the underlying oppressive systems and how much work we still have to do.
We are actively working on making the movement a safe space for Black, Brown, Indigenous, Minority Ethnic, and People of Colour, inclusive for all Queer communities and folks with disabilities or neurodivergencies.
where we’re at
- Migrating into bigger and better systems, solidifying our team structure, adding new members, and working towards our beautiful and inspiring goals for 2021.
- Gathering resources and guidelines for businesses to market ethically and compiling unethical tactics into a glossary.
- Sourcing contributors for our Medium publication to start dissecting the giant grey zone that is manipulation in marketing.
- Building our social presence and newsletters – by using our own best practices and without adding to the noise.
- Bringing our team’s expertise into teachable materials on how to be ethical in our marketing.
where we’re headed
Building an online community to open the conversation to everyone.
Creating an independent study on psychological tactics in marketing.
Collaboration with ISEAL / studying their Codes of Good Practice.
Creating an Ethical Marketing Standard (in conversation with B-Corp, Fair Trade + other ethical standards).
Become part of the B-Corp assessment once the standard is fleshed out.
…and of course breaking consumerism + eliminating the wealth gap.