The purpose of the ethical move is to uncover the gray area of manipulation in marketing through shared knowledge and conversation.
Ultimately, we will create a new standard for ethical marketing based on what we discover in the process. We collect and share resources to broaden our horizons, deepen our knowledge of our industry, and learn how to market ethically. This list will continuously be added to as we expand and grow – with your help, of course.
*The ethical move team does not agree with every opinion, nor do we claim to have found the best resources on the subject.
diversity + inclusion.
- Conscious Style Guide | Website, Conscious Style Guide (Karen Yin)
- AndHumanity Brand Inclusion Framework | Blog post, AndHumanity
- Designing Websites with Diversity in Mind | Video, Bureau of Digital Design
- City of Oshawa’s Inclusive Language Manual | PDF, City of Oshawa
- Woke Washing: How purpose driven marketing is being hijacked | Blog post, Mark Schaefer
- Woke Washing: How to avoid it or make it right after getting it wrong | Blog post, AndHumanity: Adeline Huynh
- Directory of Black Copywriters | Website, no source apparent
- Where are the Black Designers | YouTube Channel, collective of Black designers
- Black Remote She | Website (job directory), Black Remote She
- Idealist | Website (job directory), Idealist / Action Without Borders
- TransWork | Website (job directory), committee of trans-identified IBA members with support from Independence Business Alliance staff
- Anti-Racism Design Resources | Google Sheet, SPACE INDUSTRIES x ELL x Design As Protest Collective
- Marketing and advertising news for Diversity | Online Magazine, The Drum
- How to make your company LGBTQQIA+ friendly and inclusive | Blog post, From Scratch
- Feminist Principles of the Internet | Website, Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
- Style Guide | Website, Trans Journalists Association
- 10 Elements of a Good Company Statement in Solidarity with Black Lives|Website, All Things Equitable
- Give Blck | Website (Database), Give Blck
- Creating a disability-smart world together | Website, Business Disability Forum.
- aCe web accessibility testing | Website (find out if your website is ADA & WCAG compliant), accessiBe LTD
- How to structure headings for web accessibility | Website, Nomensa
- Accessibility for everyone | Ebook, Laura Kalbag
- Standards for Writing Accessibly | Blog post, A list apart
- Inclusive Components | Ebook, Heydon Pickering
- A Smashing guide to accessibility | Website, Smashing Magazine
sales + ethics.
- Don’t Buy Now! | Free PDF, Heart of Business
- Smashing Print #1: Ethics & Privacy | eBook, Smashing Media
- Codes of Conduct / AMA Statement of Ethics | Website, American Marketing Association
- Ethical Markets | Website (directory), Ethical Markets Media
- Social Responsibility and Ethics: Sustainable Marketing (Chapter 4) | PDF, Philip T.Kotler
- Ethical Marketing for Facilitators | Vimeo Showcase, Ethical Marketing Day
- Nudging vs. Covert Persuasion: Are Your Marketing Tactics Ethical? | Blog post, Better Marketing on Medium: Steve Genco
- A Framework for Assessing Immorally Manipulative Marketing Tactics | Sher, S. A Framework for Assessing Immorally Manipulative Marketing Tactics. J Bus Ethics 102, 97–118 (2011)
- Digital Best Practice | Website, Ada Lovelace Institute
- PRSA Code of Ethics | Website, Public Relations Society of America
- Standards of Practice of the American Association of Advertising Agencies | PDF, American Association of Advertising Agencies
tech + design.
- Click! How to Encourage Clicks Without Shady Tricks | Hardcover + eBook, Smashing Media (Paul Boag)
- Dark Patterns | Website, created by Harry Brignull, edited by Alexander Darlington
- The Ethical Design Handbook | eBook, Smashing Media (Trine Falbe, Martin Michael Frederiksen and Kim Andersen)
- Ethical OS Toolkit | Free PDF, Institute For The Future, Digentel Lab, Omidyar Network
- Data Ethics Canvas | Various, Open Data Institute
- Ethical Explorer Pack | Free PDF, Omidyar Network
- The Ethics of Behavioral Design | YouTube presentation, David Evans
- A Human Rights Centered Design Curriculum & Methodology | Caroline Sinders and Natalie Cadranel
- Ethical Tech Alternatives + Resources | Directory, ethical.net
- Alex bot for Slack (Catch insensitive, inconsiderate writing) | Tech, @wooorm
- Design a Feminist Chatbot |Online Course, UAL Creative Computing Institute (CCI) and Institute of Coding
- Vector Vault | Website, Volunteer group with a project grant from APIRG (Alberta Public Interest Research Group).
- 50inTech| Website and Online Community, 50inTech
- Privacy 2020: 10 Privacy Risks and 10 Privacy Enhancing Technologies to Watch in the Next Decade | White paper, The Future of Privacy Forum
- Ecosia |Search engine, Ecosia
There is so much to unpack!
Please let us know if you’ve discovered resources we should add to this list.