The Ethical Move Community Membership Agreement.
- The Ethical Move’s Vision, Mission and Values
- Code of Conduct
- Creating Your Membership Profile
- Invoicing and Payments
- Membership Package Downgrade and Termination
- Limitation of Liability
This Membership Agreement sets out the terms and conditions between you and The Ethical Move (“we”, “us”).
It takes effect on the day that you sign up for community membership and we receive your first payment.
“The Ethical Move” or “TEM” or “Hosts” or “we”/”us” means
The Ethical Move, whose registered business address is:
2793 Schooner Way
Pender Island, BC, V0N 2M2
with company registration number: 74393 3293 BC0002
“Member”, “you” and “your” means an individual, organisation, partnership or company who
- commits to TEM’s vision, mission and values as set out in clause 3
- pays the specified monthly membership fee to TEM in line with the conditions of the membership package and
- has the right to access our services.
“Services” refers to the features and benefits set out in the membership package, such as:
- “Online community”: access to the TEM Community on Mighty Networks, community events taking place online, and use of the members’ online directory .
- “Knowledge resources”: events, programmes, online and offline resources. They might be provided free of charge, included in the membership package or at extra cost.
- “Additional Services” or “Add-ons”: to programmes, products and services that we may make available to members from time to time.
“Membership package” refers to the current features and benefits of joining the community. Membership packages may be available at different price tiers that give you access to different benefits and features.
“Membership account” refers to your online account on our community platform Mighty Networks.
“Membership profile” means the online public display of your name, contact details, areas of specialism and interests.
“Welcome email” refers to an email sent by TEM which informs you how to access the TEM Community and any other services you’ve signed up for as part of this agreement.
“Community guidelines” refers to the virtual house rules and values of TEM Community and the conditions set out in clause 4 of this agreement.
“Business days” — Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays in Canada, the US, France, Sweden, the UK, Singapore or the Netherlands.
“Business hours” — 8am to 8pm PT/GMT/CET. While we aim to be available around the clock, we can’t guarantee that a member of the TEM team is on hand at all times.
“Pre-paid subscription period” means the fee payable for a membership package that you pay in advance of receiving access to services.
3. The Ethical Move Vision, Mission and Values
The Ethical Move Community (TEMC) is a membership based online community made up of businesses, organisations and individual contributors who have taken the TEM pledge at https://www.theethicalmove.org/pledge/.
TEMC seeks to unite people from every profession, background and culture who are making the ethical move for transparent, responsible and honest marketing.
Currently, our global economy only benefits a small part of the world, and an even smaller fraction within that. We are facing a massive humanitarian, health, and climate crisis, a growing wealth gap, incredible amounts of waste, discrimination, exploitation, displacement, and fear.
At the core sits an economy that relies on our insatiable appetite for more.
Psychological tactics are designed to create false demand by feeding the fear that there will not be enough. This fear has us trapped in a cycle of consumption that is uninspired, unethical, and supremely harmful to the planet and its inhabitants.
But we have no need to continue using methods from the last century to generate wealth. We know better now, so let’s use the power we hold as the ‘New Economy’.
The spirit of TEM Community is to empower people and businesses to break the cycle of consumerism, to level the playing field.
We believe the way we sell can change the world.
We are calling psychological manipulation unethical and are collectively changing the marketplace towards transparency, responsibility, and honesty – with a pledge and a badge that shows our commitment.
4. Code of Conduct
TEM Community exists to start and expand the conversation around ethical marketing, and we know that conversations on the internet can bring up sensitive subject matters. To safeguard a harassment-free experience for everyone, here is our code of conduct for conversations taking place across the ethical move platforms.
What happens in the community, stays in the community. You agree to protect the privacy of other members, and to respect the confidential nature of information that may become known to you through the use of TEMC. Before sharing information outside the Community, please ask other members involved in the conversation for permission.
(We’ve integrated the ancient Four Agreements as shared by Don Miguel Ruiz into our Code of Conduct with gratitude.)
We all stand to gain when…
- … you speak and write with integrity.
- Share your experiences — we welcome people from different communities, backgrounds, industries and experiences to enrich our shared knowledge.
- Because the community is a gathering of such diverse folks, irony may not translate well. To create a safe space for everyone, please say only what you mean.
- Avoid speaking against yourself or gossiping about others. If you disagree with something, be critical of the idea, not of the person giving it. Personal attacks are never okay.
- Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.
- … you don’t make assumptions.
- Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Contribute boldly and generously to the conversation. Go ahead and ask questions, challenge assumptions, tell us your point of view (we’d love to hear it, even when it differs from our own).
- Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama.
- … you don’t take anything personally.
- What others do isn’t necessarily because of you. What others say and do is often a projection of their own reality.
- When you don’t take the opinions and actions of others personally, you can avoid needless suffering.
- … you always do your best.
- Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick.
- Under any circumstance, simply do your best.
We reserve the right to remove from any/all of our platforms:
Any kind of
- hate speech
- threats of violence
across any of our platforms including, but not limited to
- sexual identity
- body size
- physical / mental ability
- any comments we deem offensive, bigoted or antagonistic.
TEM offers services to you that are defined in your membership package. The current terms and conditions for using these services as laid out in this agreement are available online and linked in your welcome email.
We will let you know of any changes to the URL (website location) for services or changes to the terms and conditions of the services.
Services available to members include:
- Membership Directory
- Online Discussion Forum
- Community Meetups via videoconference and/or in person
- Workshops and Ask-Me-Anything Meetings about ethical marketing, via videoconference and/or in person
Services exclude the provision of services by third-party service providers who may make offers such as events, business clinics and workshops during your period of membership.
The availability of services and of the membership package may change from time to time, either:
- 30 days after TEM provide notice of the changes via an announcement on the community platform and through the email address associated with your membership account, or
- When you expressly agree to the changes to the services and membership package or a version of this membership agreement incorporating the changes, whichever occurs first.
- In exceptional circumstances, we reserve the right to change the terms of this membership agreement at any time with immediate effect when we believe that such a change is required by law or a concern to protect members and the TEM team.
6. Creating Your Membership Profile
You agree to complete your membership profile with accurate information as soon as you’ve signed up for TEM Community.
You agree to keep your membership profile up to date and to publish it within TEM Community.
7. Invoicing and Payments
You agree to pay the monthly membership fee by credit card in Canadian Dollars (CAD).
Your membership renews automatically based on the billing cycle you choose at signup. To manage your purchases and payments within Mighty Networks, please see the platform FAQ: Manage Your Purchases as a Member.
Your use of the services may be immediately suspended if TEM is unable to receive payment from you.
We may change the price and conditions of services applicable to your account with 30 days’ notice.
If you continue to use services following a notice advising a change in prices, we’ll take it you agree to the change.
You may end this agreement if you don’t agree to the change in prices and cancel your plan within Mighty Networks before the price change comes into effect.
We will not refund any fees if TEM ends your membership before your pre-paid subscription period runs out.
8. Membership Package Downgrade or Termination
If you want to end or downgrade your membership package, you can do so any time, and the change will take effect at the next renewal date.
To downgrade or terminate, you agree to use the “Your Payments” section of your online membership account. For more information on how this works, please see the Mighty Network FAQ: Manage Your Purchases as a Member.
If we have reason to believe that you have failed to comply with the provisions of this membership agreement and the spirit and values of TEM set out in paragraphs 3 and 4, then we may at our sole discretion restrict your access to services or terminate your membership with immediate effect.
9. Limitation of Liability
The entire liability of TEM to a member in respect of any claim whatsoever or breach of this agreement whether or not arising out of negligence, shall be limited to the fees paid by the member for the period to which the claim relates.
In no event shall TEM be liable to the member for any loss of business, loss of opportunity or loss of profits or for any other indirect or consequential loss or damage whatsoever.
Where TEM uses the service of any agent or third party connected to the services, TEM does not give any warranty, guarantee or indemnity for the services that they give to members.
The laws of British Columbia, Canada govern this agreement.
Any claim made against TEM must be made in the courts of British Columbia, Canada, which will have exclusive jurisdiction in respect of any such claim, subject to TEM’s rights to commence proceedings in any other jurisdiction.