2. Become part of our team
Social justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (at TEM, we use the term ‘Collective Liberation’) is at the core of everything we do, so we are focusing on people who are under-represented and have intersectional identities to expand an already rich mixture of perspectives.
If you’re keen to be on our team, there are a few requirements:
You have to know the business world well, take a strong stance in favour of social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (Collective Liberation), and an abundance of drive to grow the movement through your role.
Most importantly, we’re looking for:
- Initiative: This is especially important to us. We’re not waiting for others to choose our next steps – we are all equal members, and our movement can only thrive with collective input. We prefer to take responsibility for our roles in the active stewardship of the future — rather than allowing circumstances, systems and people to victimise us so we resign.
- Communication: Erring on the side of over-communicating, being present in Slack + Notion.
- Mutual passion: Sharing a deep commitment to ethical marketing and the freedom and wellbeing of all.
- Emotional maturity: We all need to know how to hold and take care of ourselves. Reflecting on our sales and marketing practices can bring up unwelcome feelings of guilt, pressure and even spitefulness. Working together as a diverse team with different cultural backgrounds, life experiences and communication styles sometimes takes effort — because we seek to understand, not judge. This means that being a member of TEM asks for a lot of emotional labour.
- Willing to be wrong: We’re all clueless about almost everything. We learn together, in the open – and that includes changing our views.
Logistically, you’ll need to be available for our asynchronous Culture Meetings every few weeks and occasional team hangouts on Zoom (you can have audio/video off). So our global remote team can work, we all need to be active on Slack + Notion as well. Your commitment on average would be 2-4 hours/week (you choose your schedule).
Though a strong stance for ethical marketing has contributed to our own businesses thriving, we are all volunteers, so these positions are unpaid. We are hoping to pay our beautiful team in the future!
3. Write for our Medium publication
We are looking for writers to add their voice to the conversation! We want to uncover and discuss the ways manipulation shows up in marketing. The tone is disruptive – clear facts & bold moves. We are not looking to discuss why we need ethics in marketing. Our conversation starts with psychological manipulation being unethical.
We are challenging the line between a good piece of advertising, straight forward messaging, and psychological tactics. We’d rather cross the line than not take a stand.
Read our Medium Guidelines for the full picture of what we’re looking for.
4. Help us talk about the movement
Giving us the space to talk about ethical marketing is the best way to grow our movement. Whether it be on your podcast, joining you on Lives, or any other channel that you use.
Please know that we have our hands full writing for our own platforms; as much as we love writing guest blog posts, we have to take your reach/audience into account so we don’t overwhelm ourselves with content creation.
5. Share the movement with your people
We are infinitely grateful for mentions, shares, spreading this net as wide as possible.
6. Connect us to our peers
Anyone speaking about ethics in marketing – or ethics in general. Bring us the far reaches of the internet!
7. Send us your opinions / thoughts / feedback / acknowledgment / thumbs up
Make us feel like we are not alone in a vacuum.