Hello ethical movers!
Recently, we were told to stay in our lane.
To not take on global issues.
I see the intention behind it: to make our message palatable to more people so that we have a better chance of bringing them into the fold.
But we are only now finally sharing the content we meant to all along, so I don’t want you to misunderstand what we’re here for.
- Ethical marketing is anti-oppression work. Capitalism is at the root of oppression and exploitation. Oppression works best within a numbed out, instant-gratification, consumerist society. Global issues, by definition, are ethical marketing issues.
- This work is about the How more than the What. If we took on numbers without considering complexity, nuance, and intersections, we would stop walking the talk. Same goes for numbers that are not genuine. Anyone placing our badge on their website without doing the work is harming the cause.
- This movement includes all global issues. Capitalism stands in the way of people and planet being treated with dignity and respect. It’s all connected, whether it be psychological sales tactics, human rights abuses, or wildlife sanctuaries that are being destroyed.
- We are 9 volunteers working non stop to build a community that can hold the vastness of what we’re asking for. This is our solution to what seems insurmountable: Community. Collective action. Communal learning and growing.
The Ethical Move is a Social Movement.
Our team is here to hold space for you if you’re willing. But please don’t mistake this work for anything less than global disruption.
Phew! Now that’s off my chest, let’s get to the really fun bits 😄
the ethical move news.
The Ethical Move Community is launching in July 2022 and we are so excited! Collective learning, growth, and action is what we’re always working on and we can’t wait for you to be part of it.
Two things to know:
- TEMC is for people who have pledged. If you haven’t yet, here’s the link!
- While we’re working on making membership accessible, it will be a paid community. This might come as a surprise, and we’ll write more about the thoughts behind that decision over the next weeks and months.
Sign up here to get on our waitlist:
|join the waitlist
And this is the article on Medium where I first articulated my thoughts in 2017: Could You Sell Without Manipulation?
I’d love to hear what you have to say about all of this!
our pledgee highlights.
I’m making the ethical move to be a breath of fresh air in a world of cringe-worthy tactics AND inspire others to join us. I’m championing doing things differently and doing things right. I want my people to come with me because it’s right for them, not because it’s right for me. And I give my full permission to anyone to call me out if I’m marketing unethically in any way, at any time.– Sarah Lynas, sarahlynas.co.uk
Over consumption is the root cause of our environmental problems. As business owners, we have the responsibility to support consumers with their buying choices and to change the narrative with the need to sell more for the benefit of constant growth.We can all grow our businesses in a sustainable way that doesn’t encourage over consumption. We don’t need growth for growth sake. I don’t want to be a part of the problem and I want to actively work to help to solve it.– Sarah Newland, www.keyboardsmash.net
Find more pledgee WHYs on our website:
what we’re reading right now.
- The latest BFTP (Business For The People) newsletter was awesome! One of the resources mentioned is the green search engine called Ecosia.
- “The fundamental basis for you to have truly inclusive and accessible digital products”: WCAG Quick reference guide by W3C
- This super helpful Liberatory Design Deck by Stanford D School
- This is a terrifying article by Kate Kaye on Protocol called “Companies are using AI to monitor your mood during sales calls. Zoom might be next.”
- Fun and informative video called DIFFERENT does not mean DIFFICULT by Jessica Kellgren-Fozard
*We share resources to broaden our horizons, deepen our knowledge of our industry, and learn how to market ethically. The ethical move team does not agree with every opinion, nor do we claim to have found the best resources on the subject. What support or resources would you like to see from us? Send a reply and tell us!
what we’re working on.
As we’re continuing to grow as a team and a movement, there has been more need for systems + processes to be recorded and improved. We’re working on a Culture Handbook and are finding better ways to communicate asynchronously.
And, as always, we are deep in community development, finding resources for you, and creating content.